Sunday, March 2, 2014

Why me?

Why am I sitting outside on our perfectly paved rock porch in my chair comfortably overlooking the backyard lake, listening peacefully to the birds flitting in and out of my favorite tree.. while an innocent little boy and girl are looking up at the same sky wondering why they didn't get to eat dinner tonight? Why is my stomach full and with so much more food waiting in the pantry while someone is having to walk 11 miles to get water that isn't even clean? Why can I take a relaxing shower with a turn of a knob while an old man hasn't bathed in a year due to lack of fresh water? How come I, out of all people, live such a material rich life while others don't even have clothes on their backs?

Sometimes I start crying because I am just so fed up and confused at how unfair it is. Why me? I often feel like I should be the one over there (wherever there is) living in extreme poverty. I haven't done a single thing to deserve this... I really haven't. The roles could have easily been reversed. Why did God choose me to be born into such luxury when other children are being born into such helplessness? And here I am, sitting outside the beautiful house I've grown up in with more than I know what to do with.

 It's overwhelming. But I have a choice... I can let my heart break for others while I shovel ice cream into my mouth and go through countless Netflix movies in the comfort of my home... or I can do something. And the reality is, no matter how much I love ice cream and Netflix, only one option is going to make a difference.

So... my family has chosen to follow God.

People ask us all the time "Why are y'all doing this?" But in all honesty, how can we not?

After becoming aware of the facts and having God confirm that, yes, He has prepared us to do something about it, the next step was most certainly to put what He has placed on our hearts into action. I am blown away by the fact that my God, who could do this all by Himself, would choose to let us be a little part of it.

Katie Davis, who is a missionary is Uganda, wrote: "People from my first home say I'm brave. They tell me I'm strong. They pat me on the back and say, 'Way to go. Good job.' But the truth is, I am not really very brave; I am not really very strong; and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am simply doing what God has called me to do as a person who follows Him. He said to feed His sheep and He said to care for the 'least of these', so that's what I'm doing, with the help of a lot of people who make it possible and in the company of those who make my life worth living."

Katie put into words what we have been thinking all along. Yes, we're following Gods will, which just so happens to lead us into Rwanda. No, it's not any more special than what God is calling you to do here in the good ole United States. He broke our hearts on this specific subject because He, being the Divine planner that He is, planned waaay in advance that this was going to be our purpose.

The good news: we're not alone. God's heart breaks at the helplessness of His children. Knowing that God isn't just 'backing us up' on this but completely leading us instead has given us more passion and more heartache and more strength than ever before.

Here are some good quotes/verses that have inspired us to follow our God:

"Break my heart for what breaks yours" - Hosanna (the song)

"I don't always know where this life is going. I can't see the end of the road, but here is the great part: Courage is not about knowing the path. It is about taking the first step. It is about Peter getting out of the boat, stepping out onto the water with complete faith that Jesus will not let him drown." - Katie

"Thankfully, God's plans do not seem to be affected much by my own." - Katie


"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."- Luke 12:48


"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” - Acts 20:35

"Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”- Luke 6:38

"My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." - Psalm 119:28

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isiah 40:31

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." - Psalm 46;1

"Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man made and can be removed by the actions of human beings." - Nelson Mandela


If you haven't read Katie's book, Kisses From Katie, please do! Seriously one of the best books I've ever read... and I love to read! SO eye opening and inspiring.

- Macy :))

1 comment:

  1. We love that book, too, and are so grateful to the lady at our church who first gave it to us! And we love you, Macy, and can't wait for you and your sweet family to join us here!

    ReplyDelete