Monday, February 2, 2015

The View From the Kayak

I'll start this post off by saying that Rwanda is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. To the surprise of many people that travel here, Rwanda is full of beautiful rolling hills, deep valleys, perfect 80 degree daytime temps and 60 degree nighttime temps year around, frequent evening rain showers often accompanied by magnificent lightning/thunder storms, green grass, banana plants, rice fields, tea fields, coffee plantations, and abundant gardens everywhere you look. Rwanda is home to an amazing 970 km2 (239,692 acre) rain forest that is home to 13 different primate species, 275 bird species, 1068 plant species, 85 mammal species, 32 amphibian and 38 reptile species. It's a far cry for the dusty, sandy, 120 degree days that most think of when they picture Africa.

Well, a few weeks ago we were enjoying an exceptionally beautiful day here in Rwanda. The sun was shining, the breeze was calm, the water was smooth and warm. It was a perfect day to be spending with the family at our favorite Rwanda get-away, Kumbya.


After spending some time relaxing in the shade, Stephanie and I decided to take the kayak out on the lake. As we were preparing to paddle away, Brandon decided that he wanted to ride with us. So, the three of us set off on what ended up being a 3 mile trip around Three Hump Island.

As we paddled and talked, I couldn't help but look around at the beauty that surrounded us. The beautiful, calm lake that we were kayaking on, the lush green rolling hills that surrounded us, the "dugout" fishing boats that passed in the distance... It was such a peaceful moment.
As I looked in awe at God's creation, I asked Brandon if, once we returned to America, he thought that he would miss being in Rwanda and being surrounded by all this beauty. His answer was a simple "no." I pried a bit and asked why he thought that. He simply explained that he misses his friends and can't wait to return to Texas to see them again. He went on to list a few other reasons that he'd rather be in good ol' Texas rather that Rwanda.

That got me thinking about how often I do the exact same thing. I think we all do. Rather than living in the moment and enjoying what we have, we often wish we were somewhere else doing something different. Rather than being thankful and happy with where we are or what we're doing, we always dream about how green the grass is on the other side.

We all see and feel this on a daily basis. Whether it's wanting a better job, a newer car, a bigger house, better health, bigger muscles, or simply just wanting to do more, we are all guilty of it. The reasoning seems pretty simple: we all think that that one extra thing will make us happy and, in turn, content.

The more I think about it, the more I think we have it backwards... It's human nature to think that happiness will bring contentment... There's always one more thing or a little more money that we need to make us content... Instead, we need to flip that and realize that we must first be content in order to be happy.

So, the logical question is: how can I possibly be content with the situation I'm in?

Well, take a look at the Apostle Paul's letter to the Philippians, where, from a prison cell (one that he thought he might die in), Paul testifies that he learned to be content in any situation:

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:10-13

Paul "learned the secret" and reveals it to all by saying "I can do all things through him (Christ) who gives me strength." This means that all of us, in our relationship and active faith in Him, have the same power of contentment that the Apostle Paul had! That's great news!

Keep in mind that just as Jesus said "Without me you can do nothing" (John 15:5) doesn't mean non-believers can't have good relationships, friends, money, health, etc, "I can do all things" doesn't mean believers in Christ can have whatever they want or that Christians will never be faced with adversity. Instead, what Paul is teaching is that, if you trust in Christ, you can rely on His strength and be content wherever God leads you and in whatever situation you're put in. And, in that contentment, we will find joy and happiness in our hearts, and will, thus, bring honor and glory to God!

Now, I don't expect an 8 year old to understand that (though it didn't stop me from trying to explain... and received a blank stare in return), but I'm happy we had that conversation that day because in his innocent, unknowing way I learned a lot from him that day.

So, I've got to ask you: How's the view from your kayak?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great activity. I hope to try kayak too! I know Rayomarine offers this kind here in the Philippines. I must check them out!

    ReplyDelete